A Doc's Life is a underground Medical Blog about some poor Singapore doctors. They are sibei sian and very buay song. Best practices not observed!
(Warning: Grammar is non existent in this blog. Those obsessively compulsive about good English please go no further and book an appointment to see your psychiatrist in Singapore.)

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Digital Evacuation


This finger has boldly gone where no normal finger had gone before!



While we are still on the pelvic region, let me relate my early experience on digital evacuation. An elderly bedbound gentleman was admitted to the ward and the family was complaining that he had not moved his bowels (means never shit lah) for the past few days. A previous Dr who had examined him noted that his faeces were impacted (means stuck liao loh).

Nurse: Dr Og, you need to do a digital evacuation for that patient.
Newbie (feign ignorance): huh? simi digital evacuation.
Nurse: digital like your finger and evacuation like dig !!?
Newbie: yah yah, but can't nurses do that??
Nurse (pek chek liao): NO, this type of thing only Dr can do. Your Consultant order one.

Threatened by the nurse, I had no choice but to go up to the poor old man. I put on my latex glove and inserted my digit ( index finger lah). The poor man who was unable to communicate verbally let out a loud groan. The initial disgust in me soon dissipated when I realised that hard brown stool were not unlike gardening soil. Being an avid garderner, this was not too difficult after all!
Finally I was done. I pulled out my digit in pride that I have helped this old patient. It was only then that I discovered my glove was torn and what was I to find on my digit! SHIT!

Moral of the story: always double glove!!! (applies for condoms as well I guess hahaha)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Eh... if pull out condom and find shit... champion... either there's a fistula somewhere.... or the person likes going in through the backdoor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo You got put lube or not??? :X:X:X

    ReplyDelete
  3. in this instance, the faeces was so impacted that we had to soften it first before evacuating. Usually we apply KY jelly (ur lube) to our fingers (with the glove on of course).

    ReplyDelete
  4. !!!

    ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:34 AM

    In animals we call that the Royal Flush... especially for constipated cats. Lots of KY jelly

    ReplyDelete